Gibbs Flying Service, Inc.
Gibbs Flying Service is one of the oldest and most respected aviation businesses in San Diego. The company was started in 1937 when Bill Gibbs moved his pilot training business including a Lincoln Page and Taylor Cub to his newly acquired airport site on Kearny Mesa just north of downtown San Diego. After clearing the brush for two dirt runways he named his airport Gibbs Field. In 1948, after many improvements and use during early WWII as a training field by the CPT program, Gibbs Field was acquired by the City of San Diego and renamed Montgomery Field. This was to honor an early San Diego aviation pioneer and the first American glider pilot John J. Montgomery. Now Montgomery Field is adjacent to the population center of San Diego. The airport is conveniently located eight miles from Downtown or La Jolla and is the closest to the high tech areas of Sorrento Valley, Kearny Mesa, Mira Mesa, Del Mar and Miramar.