A Completely Automated Paint Solution
The Automated Paint Robot (APR) was developed on the backdrop of a feasibility study for Airbus in 2015. By adding a COTS rotary bell spray-gun to the LCR platform, we created a cost-effective and autonomous solution that reduces labor costs by 80%, saves up to 30% of paint and ensures higher quality and predictability in the paint process. In addition, new technology is being developed to decorate aircraft in record time in any color and pattern, with fully digital created content. This Direct Printing feature will soon be announced.
APR benefits and operational characteristics
- Much better facility planning through-out the year
- 80% reduction of labor costs
- Process workflow reduction in the MRO operation (A320+B777 10%, A380 35%)
- Reduction of paint by 27% (with Direct Printing > 30%) as a result of more efficient spraying, respectively printing
- Higher quality and predictability in the paint process
- No cost increase with complex livery schemes a result of marketing campaigns or new branding schemes
- No hazardous paint fumes
- Safer and healthier working environment
Ed. note—Inside MRO’s Lindsay Bjerregaard writes more about this product and others that made an impact in 2019. Read “Top 10 Cool New MRO Products” on AviationWeek.com/MRO.